1. Scan Your Computer For Virus
2. Defrag Your Hard Drive Files
- Click Search and type "Defrag"
- Click Defragment and Optimize Disk
- You can analyze the disk to see how much it is fragmented or skip and just select Optimize. This will run the disk defragmentation.
3. Check Your Hard Drive Space Availability
No matter how big your drive is, if you use up all or most of the space on your hard drive you will most likely to experience some problems with your computer. You must always have at least 10% of the total size of your hard disk free if you want a smooth running computer
Run a Disk Clean Up
When you visit the internet, there are tonnes of files which eventually get dumped to you computer. files such as cookies and tmp files. Many application leaves breadcrumbs after ther have been uninstalled from your system. They just sit and take up space on your computer for years doing nothing. If your cumputer have ever done a memory dump, these dump files are also sitting there and taking up precioaus hard disk space. Run a Disk Cleanup to free up space to help your computer run smoother.
1. Right Click your hard drive and SELECT Properties
2. Click Disk Clean Up
Windows will begin to run a check on you hard disk for files to be cleaned up
Once windows has finished selecting files for removal, you will be given the option to keep or remove files. WARNING! If you see compressed old files, these are actual data files that have not been accessed and has been sitting on your computer for a long time. These compressed old files could be word documents, excel files, PDF, images, etc. Before you tick the compressed old files check box. Ensure that all your essential files are backed up.
Select the files to clean up and click "OK".
4. Re-install Your Operating System
- Backup your computer data
- Have a copy of your operating system ready and the Legitimate Keys
- Insert Your Operating System DVD and begin the Installation
- If reinstalling is a bit too much for you, take the PC in to a good IT Guy.